Monday, December 20, 2010

DON VAN VLIET

When I was in the 5th grade my interest in heavy metal was starting to wane. I began listening to classic rock radio and soon found a record store in the neighboring town that carried vinyl. Around that time I visited my aunt who lived in Queens. One evening while flipping through the channels on her tv, I settled on watching an old episode of Saturday Night Live featuring musical guest Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band. The next few minutes would have a lasting impact on me and the way I thought about music. After that weekend I returned to the record store to ask if they had heard of this man and his band. I ended up buying a copy of Trout Mask Replica and like most people, forced myself to believe I liked this music.  Later, in my late teens I bought a copy of Safe As Milk and it took months or maybe a year until it went out of regular rotation.

No comments: